Thursday, December 13, 2012

Application #7
Final Reflection

     Reflecting on my personal learning theory, I originally believed that students learned best through social interactions with their peers (social learning theory) and hands on activities tailored to their learning styles (constructivist learning theory). While I still maintain that this is how students truly learn, I need to make adjustments to how I integrate technology into my daily instruction according to this learning theory.

     One tool I would like to use to reinforce my belief that students learn socially is with Skype. How valuable this tool can truly be! It doesn't cost anything and students can meet, interview, converse with anyone around the world because of how versatile this tool truly is. In order to ensure that I use this tool, I have created a classroom profile with epals in hopes of partnering with a classroom outside of North Carolina and hopefully, outside of the United States.

     Another tool I would like to use to reinforce my belief in the constructivist learning theory is VoiceThread, especially with kindergarteners. This program is very 5 year old user friendly and this tool can be used to brainstorm ideas with their peers. Knowledge is a constructed element resulting from the learning process (Lever-Duffy & McDonald, 2008) that can then be integrated into VoiceThread to share what they have learned and create class books with the help of class collaboration.  Students are currently working on a class book, so it has already been planned out that they will be using VoiceThread in January upon returning from Christmas break.

References:

Lever-Duffy, J., & McDonald, J. (2008). Theoretical foundations (Laureate  
     Education, Inc., custom ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment