Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Week 3: Carrying out my GAME plan


     This week I will be reflecting upon the resources I will need to carry out my GAME plan and the steps I have taken on fulfilling that plan.

     To ensure that I promote and model digital citizenship and responsibility, I have begun to review the program NetSmartz that our school uses to introduce internet safety  This program contains games and other helpful resources for teaching students about how to stay safe while using technology, from the Web site www.netsmartz.org. The key is using resources that are kindergarten friendly and suitable for the goal that I have. For me, it is important that students have realistic opportunities in which to practice their learned internet safety. The first month of school will be spent introducing students to the different parts of the computer and appropriate conduct when on the internet, within issues that kindergartners are most likely to face. Netsmartz also provides an online safety education kit that includes lessons, guidelines and even pledges for students to sign prior to being allowed to use the internet.
   
        The other goal I set is to design and develop digital age learning experiences and assessments. I want to create authentic learning experiences for kindergartners that allow them to not only play games and watch tutorials, but to also create. Technology can be used in so many ways, but it is important to use technology as an additional resource to learning content subjects. Currently, I work in a classroom with a teacher who puts students on two programs- a listening center on the computer or Education City. Both are great programs, but unfortunately students are not excited about using the computers. To me, that's a sign that we aren't doing our jobs as educators. I recently showed students how to create a graph using Microsoft Excel and they loved it. They were amazed at the graphs they created after plugging in the data from their Math surveys.
     
        Currently, my plan is not very concrete. I am still waiting on a couple of factors. One of those being that I may be teaching 5th grade next year, total other end of the elementary spectrum. This in part will change my GAME plan. 
     

4 comments:

  1. I have a few sites that you may be able to use:
    Brainpopjr.com
    http://www.abcya.com/computer_vocabulary.htm
    http://www.att.com/Common/images/safety/game.html

    Fun educational sites:
    http://www.e-learningforkids.org/
    http://teachers.cr.k12.de.us/~galgano/klinksmath.htm
    http://www.internet4classrooms.com/skill_builders/fractions_math_kindergarten_k_grade.htm


    I have many other sites for math and other subjects, if you need any for your plan, please let me know.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanine,
      Thank you so much for all of the great sites you provided! I especially like that a well known cell phone provider also has a game students can play to learn more about internet safety. These will definitely come in handy.. I'm bookmarking them now!

      Delete
  2. Erika,
    Wow, Kindergarten to fifth big jump. I went from Kindergarten to third an LOVE it! There are so many great sites out there that can keep students engaged. So yes, I agree if they don't want to go on the computer, they must be bored.

    Here are some sites I use often:

    www.abcya.com (as Jeanine mentioned) My 8 year old loves this site too! It is for K-5
    www.starfall.com (great for beginning readers)
    www.raz-kids.com
    www.tumblebooks.com (there is a charge but I'm able to access it free through my public library)
    www.magickeys.com
    www.xtramath.org (allows you to set up a free account with your class, they can access at home with your code and you can see progress on math facts)

    Have fun exploring!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Erika,

    Kindergarten is the grade that I teach. Our goals are the same. I have found some interesting websites to integrate technology into the classroom. I hope these helps.

    www.scootpad.com (common core aligned and can be tailored to students' needs)

    http://www.dreambox.com/teachertools (math resources that can be used on an interactive board)

    www.explorelearning.com (This is a subscription site that was paid for by our district. It has online simulations that students can manipulate such as plant growth or math manipulations.

    ReplyDelete